Archive for August, 2007

Centralized VS. Distributed Version Control

I’ve been feeling a bit weird having my SVN repos hanging out on one partition and the checkout directory hanging out in $HOME. It just seems like a waste of space, and like a bit of overkill for my needs. While I was looking at different version control systems I stumbled across GNU Arch. (not the distro)

Unlike Subversion, GNU Arch has a distributed repository model. At first this method of version control seemed like a chaotic way of developing software, but the more I think about it the more I think it may be just what I’m looking for.

With distributed version control your working copy IS your repository. This sounds perfect for single person development. Another big plus for me is that this type of revision control seems better suited for offline development. Distributed version control systems tend to be speedier since they don’t have to contact a central repository for commits. (according to the websites for Git, and Mercurial)

Here’s some links if you want to learn more.

Advertisements

August 24, 2007 at 6:53 pm 1 comment

Javascript Modal Windows

At one point in time I was looking for how to create those little boxes that popup to show a picture. I didn’t know what they were called, so of course I didn’t find what I was looking for.

Anyway, wikipedia has some links to some of those types of scripts.

August 23, 2007 at 8:38 pm Leave a comment

Linux ACPI Myths

I was looking for ways to speed up Arch Linux ( There’s a strange quality about the distro that makes you want to do that. 😉 ) and saw something in the forums about Intel Pentium M processors performing better with the acpi-cpufreq module instead of speedstep-centrino for cpu scaling. This seemed odd to me, so I did some googling and found this article about Linux myths about ACPI. Anyway it answered my question to may satisfaction, and was an interesting read for the stuff I understood.

Looks like I’ve picked up my interest in ACPI again 😉

August 19, 2007 at 8:39 pm Leave a comment

A Closer Look At Arch Linux

Well, since I’ve been having trouble getting the Slackware 12 DVD I decided to give Arch a more serious look.

The installation is similar, but not quite as polished as the Slackware installer. (Which I think is starting to need some maintenance too) This may have to do with Arch being a rolling release distro, but if I stay with Arch for any length of time I’ll have to take a stab at fixing the installer.

The next thing I noticed about Arch was that once you have it installed you sort of feel like you’ve been dropped off in the middle of nowhere. There’s endless possibilities, but there’s a lot of work to be done. Pacman makes getting programs easier, but you still have lots of configuration to do.

One of the most annoying things about Arch has always been hardware. Hardware detection is good, but the naming of devices in /dev has always been something that made Arch unique. In earlier releases hard disks were placed in /dev/disk/disk0/partX. (it’s been a while so the path might be a little different) Now hard disks (even ide disks) are labeled sda and CD’s are labeled sr0. Even more annoying that that though is having to add users to certain groups to get access to certain devices.

All in all, it makes a really good, clean base that will help you learn about your system’s internals.

August 14, 2007 at 3:38 pm Leave a comment

SINP Beta 2 Released

This was an interesting release to work on, because much of the programming had to be done offline due to moving. Thankfully I found a library with wi-fi to test everything out, and I have access to the internet again.

As always you can download SINP at http://sourceforge.net/projects/sinp

Much of the work in this release was documentation and code clean up, especially anywhere there was a regular expression. Hopefully the code is a bit easier to read now.

I added a makefile (which was fun learning to do) so (un)installation is easier, and I added a man page.

sinp no longer sets any SlackBuild defaults (like $ARCH) except OUTPUT and TMP. The MD5sums of the downloaded source tarballs are no longer checked, and local repo support was gutted.  These will be back in 0.2 or later, but for now they just complicated things.

The last release had a nasty bug that kept it from working as documented. If you ran sinp without the -S option no search results showed up. This has been fixed so now everything works as expected.

The last thing to note is that using the SBOSearch (-S) works best only when you are searching for a slackbuild. The reason being that sometimes multiple results show up even when searching by the exact slackbuild name. This prevents sinp from downloading anything so the building process stops. Many times this happens because someone put dependancies in the list of search keywords when they submitted the slackbuild. (which can be helpful sometimes)

That’s about it. Enjoy 🙂

August 9, 2007 at 2:21 pm 2 comments


Feeds