CLI for 30: Day 10-12

June 8, 2007 at 8:23 pm Leave a comment

It’s been a while since my last post, mainly because of the lack of me doing anything new (I have some new stuff planned for tomorrow) and some work around the house that needed to get done.

After downloading the first couple of my starred albums on Jamendo I came across an album that has international characters in many of the file names. Ordinarily this isn’t much of a problem, but (to my knowlege) the console (not an *term) can’t display unicode.

Usually I change the international letters to their non-accented counter parts and be rid of them, but that’s difficult if you don’t know what the letter you need is.

Unicode letters are made up of two bytes and ASCII is one byte, so I figure I could convert the two ASCII letters (it’s obvious which two characters are out of place) to binary and then to unicode. This was not as easy as it sounds

Converting the ASCII to binary worked fine, but there are no binary to unicode charts. The only real conversion charts I found were for HTML escapes.

I tried writing the string using a hex editor, then forcing the encoding, which didn’t work.

It’s getting kind of late here and I’m out of ideas so I think I’ll finish trying to convert until tomorrow

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Linux. Tags: , , .

CLI for 30: Day 8 and 9 CLI for 30: Day 13

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Feeds


%d bloggers like this: